Dr. Ravindra Nanda was born on 19th February 1943. He is a professor and is heading the Department of Craniofacial Sciences, and the Chair of the Orthodontics Division at the University School of Dental Medicine, Connecticut. He forms the division of the founding faculty of School of Dental Medicine. Since 1972, he has been at the University of Connecticut, wherein he is holding an Alumni Chair in the Orthodontics Division.
Ravindra Nanda is a trendsetter of various orthodontics appliances. His research and clinical interests are inclusive of adolescent and adult orthodontics, the biology of tooth mobility, craniofacial orthopedics, biomechanics, and development of efficient mechanics towards the delivery of orthodontic care.
Ravindra Nanda’s birthplace is Lyallpur, British India (presently Faisalabad, Pakistan) as the youngest of the seven children. His father, a family physician, practiced for 30 years there. He has two brothers who are residing as Orthodontists in the USA – namely, Dr. Ram Nanda and Dr. Surender Nanda. Dr. Nanda completed his Post Graduation in Orthodontics under his elder brother Dr. Ram Nanda, who was the head of orthodontics department of King Georges Medical College, Lucknow University.
Dr. Ravindra Nanda completed his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in dentistry and orthodontics from King George’s Medical College, Lucknow University. His dissertation on “Cephalometric Study of the Dentofacial Complex of North Indians” was preferred for the scholarship research grant from the Indian Council of Medical Research and it was published in the January 1969 issue of the Angle Orthodontist. Then he adhered to Katholieke Universiteit, Nijmegen, the Netherlands in 1967 and received his Ph.D. in Philosophy in 1969.
He came over to the new dental school at Loyola in Chicago in 1970, after serving as the fellow and assistant professor in orthodontics with Frans van der Linden. He proceeded to the Department of Orthodontics in 1972, the University of Connecticut in Farmington, CT, and received his certificate in orthodontics under Dr. Charles Burstone.
In 1972, Dr. Nanda joined the Connecticut University after lecturing two years at Loyola University in Maywood, IL. Over the last 39 years, he was promoted from assistant professor to full professor in 1979.
Professor Ravindra Nanda has been serving as the ‘Head of the Orthodontics Department’ since 1992 and even gained promotion towards leading the Craniofacial Sciences Department in 2004, which is inclusive of the divisions of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pediatric Dentistry, Advanced Education in General Dentistry, and Orthodontics.
Ravindra Nanda holds membership and is a former president of the North Atlantic component of the Edward H. Angle Society of Orthodontists. At present, Nanda is the Editor-in-Chief of Progress in Orthodontics, the associate editor of Journal of Clinical Orthodontics and on the editorial board of nine national and international orthodontic journals.
He even holds the membership of the American Dental Association, the Connecticut State Dental Association, the Hartford Dental Society, the American Association of Orthodontics, the European Orthodontic Society, the International Association of Dental Research, and the College of Diplomats of the American Board of Orthodontists.
He has written and edited seven books of standard texts and more than 200 publications and peer-reviewed journals. He has delivered significant lectures in more than 40 countries and has received awards and honors from the U.S. and international orthodontic organizations. Most recently, Dr. Nanda was admired with a Life Time Membership to the Indian Orthodontic Society (IOS), at the 8th APOC in New Delhi, India.
Awards & Honors
Dr. Ravindra Nanda has been in the receipt of so many awards for his contributions in dentistry and orthodontics; the most notable ones are as follows:
- Honorary Member – Jordan Orthodontic Society
- John Taylor Lecture, Australia – Australia Society of Orthodontics Foundation
- Sheldon Friel Memorial Lecture – European Orthodontic Society
- Keith Godfrey Visiting Professor, Sydney, Australia – University of Sydney
- Life Time Achievement Award – University of Connecticut Foundation
- John Mershon Memorial Lecture, Boston, Massachusetts – America Association of Orthodontics
- Honorary Member – Czech Orthodontic Society
- Hon. Member – Taiwanese Orthodontic Society
- Hon. Life Time Membership – Indian Orthodontic Society
- Gordon Kirkness Memorial Lecture – Australian Society of Orthodontics
- Honorary Member – Central American Orthodontics Society
- Wendell L. Wylie Memorial Lecture, San Francisco, California – University of San Francisco
- Senior Research Fellow, Japan Promotion for Science, Sendai, Japan – Tohoku University
- Nanda, R and Burstone, CJ (eds) Retention and Stability in Orthodontics WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1993.
- Nanda, R Biomechanics in Clinical Orthodontics WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1996.
- Nanda, R Biomechanic and Esthetic Strategies in Clinical Orthodontics. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA 2005.
- Nanda R. Temporary Anchorage Devices in Orthodontics. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2008.
- Nanda R. and Kapila, S. Current Therapy in Orthodontics, Mosby, St. Louis, April 2009.
- Nanda R. Esthetics and Biomechanics in Orthodontics, Saunders, St. Louis, MO, 2015.
- Nanda R, Uribe, F. Atlas of Complex Orthodontics, Elsevier, St. Louis, MO, 2016.
Monographs and Invited Editorships
- Ravindra Nanda, The normal palate and induced cleft palate in rat embryos: An in vivo in vitro and autoradiographic study on embryological development. Gebr Janssen, Nymegen, The Netherlands, Monograph pp 1–120, 1969.
- Nanda, R (ed) Symposium in Orthodontics, Dental Clinics of North America WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1981. (Translation in Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German and Greek).
- Nanda, R (ed) Management of Complex Orthodontic Problems. Seminars in Orthodontics WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 1996.
- Nanda, R (ed) Adult Orthodontics. Dental Clinics of North America, Volume 1. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 40:11, 811-1016, 1996.
- Nanda, R (ed) Adult Orthodontics. Dental Clinics of North America, Volume 11. WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, PA, 41:1-154, 1997.
- Nanda, R (guest editor) Infromationau aus Orthodontie and Kieferorthopadie 30:30, 1998.